Optimisation for Business Productivity
Executives are under tremendous pressure to reduce IT costs while improving services to the business and end users. New generations of employees who grew up in the information age are entering the workforce. Communication, collaboration, and business productivity tools are becoming increasingly powerful and are required by the businesses to stay competitive in their core and recruiting markets.
An industry standard model being utilised to determine an organisation’s optimisation level of IT resources is BPIO or better known as Business Productivity Infrastructure Optimisation. Microsoft is the lead developer of this model and it measures an operational benchmark for gauging the maturity of a company’s IT infrastructure.
Under this model, organisations are segmented into the following four groups:
- Basic. These organisations are the least efficient performers and have high costs and average service levels and agility. These organisations typically use few of the industry best practices.
- Standardised. These organisations have somewhat better IT costs with similar service levels and agility when compared with Basic firms. They leverage some easier-to-implement best practices.
- Rationalised. These organisations have very low IT labour costs and show modest improvements in service levels and agility compared with Basic and Standardised firms. They use many IT best practices and automate and standardise wherever possible.
- Dynamic. These organisations shift the focus from cost reduction to enabling business with optimal service levels and agility. Dynamic organisations may even choose to accept best practices that increase costs to optimise service levels and agility.
Microsoft’s BPIO (Business Productivity Infrastructure Optimisation) Model
The impact of best practices and optimal solutions for deploying various business productivity solutions can be measured using the following cost elements:
- User labour: The cost of lost productivity (based on salary) due to service desk calls associated with these deployments
- IT service desk labour: The cost of IT service desk staff responding to service desk calls associated with these deployments
- IT deployment labour: The cost of IT staff specifically engaged in these deployments
It is estimated, based on an IDC study, that if an organisation moves from Basic to Standard, the cost per user could be decreased by 64%. In a Rationalised environment, the cost per user could be 69% less than in a Standardised environment and 89% less than in a Basic environment. These significant overall cost differences can be attributed to the use of best practices that are identified when seeking or implementing Business Productivity solution.
AccTech has created a unique approach in assisting organisations to mature through their lifecycle of productivity. Many customers have benefited from this approach and so could YOU. Please feel free to contact AccTech’s technology division if you require any further information around these initiatives.